Assistant Library Director
DATE: May, 2008
DIRECTION OF OTHERS:
Senior Librarians, Assistant Children's Librarian, Circulation, Desk, and Children's Services Assistants, Technical Services Assistant, Clerks, Student Assistants, Administrative Assistant.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Master's Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited institution, plus three years of professional public library experience (minimum of three years supervisory experience). Experience with current technologies. Experience in web development.
Commitment to customer service.Excellent communications skills.Ability to work in and contribute to a diverse team environment.
NATURE OF WORK:
Administration of library operations. Provide leadership and coaching to staff in a self-directed team environment. Provide a full range of library services to the community employing a range of delivery methods.
WORK PERFORMED/AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist the Director with the day-to-day operation of the library and assume responsibility for the operation in the Director's absence:
- Supervise, train, schedule and evaluate staff; assess learning needs.
- Handle problems arising with staff and patrons.
- Assist inmanaginglibrary physical properties.
- Respond to building emergencies
- Ensure safe environment for staff and public.
2. Work on long and short-term planning.
- Participate in personnel management.
- Develop, plan, and evaluate new programs.
- Assist Director with budget and programs.
3. Define and coordinatethe scope, vision and operation of library web development:
- Select resources; supervise web maintenance and electronic resources; assist with hardware selection.
- Provide expertise in Internet use and web development.
- Keep informed of emerging library technologies.
- Communicate ideas and practices related to integrating new and emerging library technologies to all levels of library staff.
4. Supervise and coordinate publicity for programs, services, access, and resources. Design communication materials for staff and public.
5. Provide reference and related services:
- Share responsibility with other librarians to provide reference service.
- Provide expertise in library electronics and technology.
- Select library materials.
6. Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director.
EXTENT AND TYPE OF INTERACTION WITH PUBLIC:
- Extensive contact with the public in providing library services.
- Serves as anauthority in the community on library resources and services.
- Provides community representation for library resources and services.
- Advocate library service fordiverse sectors of the community.
- Participates in community groups.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND REGISTRATIONS:
Must possess a valid Minnesota driver's license.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOL OPERATION:
Employee must be capable of operating miscellaneous tools and equipment relative to this position which shall include, but may not be limited to: computers, copy machines, audiovisual equipment, communication equipment and calculators.
HOURS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- This is an exempt position and does not accrue overtime
- The normal workday shall be eight (8) hours and the normal work week forty (40) hours.
- Frequent evening and weekend hours; evenings until 9:15 PM, Saturday 8:30 AM-5:15 PM; Sunday 11:30 AM-5:00 PM.
- Indoor working environment with frequent contact with the general public.
In compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act the following represents the Physical and Environmental Demands: This position requires an equal amount of time spent standing, walking, and sitting. Lifting, pushing/pulling, or carrying of objects weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds is sometimes required, with a maximum of forty (40) pounds infrequently required. Climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, twisting, and bending are sometimes required. Repetitive movements of the hands are sometimes required. Audio, visual, and verbal functions are essential functions to performing this position. The majority of the workday is spent indoors.