DATE: July, 2000
DIRECTION OF OTHERS: Part- time Clerks and Student Assistants
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: B.A. or B.S. preferred. Two years of relevant work experience with emphasis in public service. In this position retail sales experience would be helpful. Personal computer competency required.
NATURE OF WORK: Primary public service position. In charge of the circulation of adult materials and the interlibrary loan service. Assists patrons with use of technology
WORK PERFORMED/AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide a variety of services to the public:
- Reception/telephone/information desk.
- Charge and discharge materials.
- Register new patrons.
- Collect fines and fees.
- Reserve materials and audio-visual equipment.
- Instruct patrons in use of on-line public access.
- Create library displays.
- Provide readers advisory service to patrons.
- Responsible for circulation area:
- Maintain patron registration files.
- Maintain reserve files
- Call patrons with overdue materials.
- Distribute and record newspapers.
- Maintain and service library equipment for public and staff use.
- Preliminary deselection of materials.
- Provide interlibrary loan service:
- Process and send all requests.
- Keep interlibrary loan records.
- Contact for other libraries.
- Serve on regional interlibrary loan task forces.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
EXTENT AND TYPE OF INTERACTION WITH PUBLIC:
I. First point of contact the public has with the library, both by walk-in and by telephone.
II. Answers questions, directs inquiries, assists in equipment use, notifies patrons of overdue or
EQUIPMENT AND TOOL OPERATION:
I. Employee must be capable of operating miscellaneous tools and equipment relative to this position which shall include, but may not be limited to: audiovisual equipment, computers, copiers, FAX machines, public address system and calculators.
HOURS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
I. The normal work day shall be eight (8) hours and normal work week shall be forty (40) hours.
II. Indoor working environment with frequent contact with the general public.
In compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act the following represents the Physical and Environmental Demands: This position requires an equal amount of time spent standing, walking, and sitting. Lifting, pushing/pulling, or carrying of objects weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds is sometimes required, with a maximum of forty (40) pounds infrequently required. Climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, twisting, and bending are sometimes required. Repetitive movements of the hands are sometimes required. Audio, visual, and verbal functions are essential functions to performing this position. The majority of the workday is spent indoors.