City of Owatonna
POSITION TITLE: Engineering Intern
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
REPORTS TO: Public Works Director/City Engineer
DURATION: Summer 2013
Provides assistance on survey crew, performs inspection activities as directed by Engineering personnel, performs drafting tasks relating to City map updating, information gathering for pavement management program, and other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
1. Provides assistance as directed with engineering related field surveys and public improvement inspections.
2. Performs miscellaneous drafting functions as directed.
3. Provides assistance in maintaining engineering related documents in keeping them accurate and up-to-date.
4. Provides assistance to the general public with requests for engineering related information.
5. Performs miscellaneous research projects as requested relating to engineering information, related to the pavement management program.
6. Provides copies of plat maps, topographies, as-builts, etc., as requested by the public or other City department personnel.
7. Communicates orally and in writing information and results of field surveys and inspections.
8. All other duties that apply.
1. Currently enrolled in a Civil Engineering, college program.
2. Completed at least one quarter or equivalent hours in surveying and drafting/engineering graphics.
3. Ability to work independently and complete work assignments accurately and on time.
4. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
5. Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other City department personnel.
6. Valid driver’s license equivalent to Minnesota Class D.
7. Ability to perform all essential position functions included under Working Conditions as described.
8. Must be able to lift and manually transport field survey and inspection equipment and work in a variety of weather conditions.
1. Currently having attained at least a sophomore status at a college or university.
2. Previous work experience in surveying and/ or engineering-related field.
3. Desire to gain knowledge and experience relating to all facets of municipal engineering.
4. Experience with Engineering and model software (AutoCAD)
1. Position requires ability to work outdoors during adverse weather conditions as directed.
2. Position requires the ability to assist on a field survey crew as directed.
3. Position workload may be such that, during some periods of time, activities will be hectic and stressful, and a variety of different tasks will be performed at a fast pace.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
HOURS OF WORK:
Normal hours of work are from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The position requires occasionally working before the normal 7:00 a.m. start time and beyond the normal 3:30 p.m. quitting time. The position requires occasionally working on the weekends as directed.