Friday Camp Staff
City of Owatonna
Date: February 27, 2013
Job Title: Friday Camp Leader
Department: Parks and Recreation
Immediate Supervisor: Friday Camp Supervisor, Therapeutic Recreation Coordinator
Direction of others: Campers, Volunteers and Support Staff
Minimum Education, Training and Experience Required: Be 16 years of age minimum, Prefer some experience/knowledge of disabilities through personal, volunteer or work involvement. Have some knowledge/interest in games, crafts, sports or outdoor leisure activities for children.
Nature of Work: To lead outdoor recreation activities in a daycamp setting for children with disabilities, and assist them as needed also during lunch, snacks and bathroom breaks.
Work performed/Areas of Responsibility:
- Attend all mandatory meetings for seasonal staff.
- Confirm any schedule conflicts with TR Coordinator.
- Participate in initial training meeting with Friday Camp Staff to plan weekly themes and details of summer schedule.
- Read Camper applications and become familiar with camper needs. Refer questions to TR Coordinator.
- Review Disability Resource Guide to learn more about disabilities represented, to prepare for campers’ arrival.
- Tour area of Camp Supplies and equipment to know our inventory for planning games, craft, and activities.
- Assist with cleaning the boathouse to use as needed for storage and shelter prior to starting Camp.
- Review as a staff all safety precautions and procedures regarding weather conditions accident or injury, pickup and drop off policy and other emergency guidelines.
- Report any incidents to TR Coordinator and assist with completion of a written report.
- Wear nametags weekly and become acquainted with campers, parents and support staff upon their arrival.
- Arrive 15 – 20 minutes before camp begins and after campers have departed to assist with set up and clean up.
- Know at all times where your assigned campers are.
- Discreetly communicate camper information with other staff as needed.
- Review camp agenda weekly, post agenda for campers, and know the weekly rain plan.
- Assist the Friday Camp Supervisor as directed.
- Complete a staff evaluation to be sent to the TR office within 1 week of Friday Camp’s conclusion.
- Assist with end of the season cleanup.