Information Technology System Administrator
DATE: February 24, 2015
DIRECTION OF OTHERS: None
Nature of Work: The primary function of this position is the administration of all servers, networks, and computerized systems (both software and hardware) for the City. This position will work with all of the departments within the City (Administration, Library, Police, Fire, Waste Water Treatment, Golf Course, Airport, Water Park, Community Development, Engineering, Finance, etc.). Work may include assisting or serving as a temporary backup for staff above this classification. Incumbent understands the overall services for the City and has a strong working knowledge of the policies and procedures related to the area of responsibility.
|Duties / Responsibilities:|
|WORK PERFORMED/AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Install, configure, document, and support computers, servers, printers, phones, software, and networking systems
• Ensures the consistency and maintainability of existing applications by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards/procedures for implementing technical solutions
• Provide technical assistance to all employees for their computing needs
• Develop, document and conduct regular training sessions with staff to help them use existing hardware and software systems to become more proficient in their areas of responsibility
• Assist with reviewing current and future networking requirements and plans for the maintenance, upgrades, and expansion of networks
• Communicate upcoming changes, upgrades, maintenance or schedule events with all City departments and employees
• Monitors employee and public computer needs
• Ensures security and maintenance of computers systems and the confidential programs and data contained within
• Recommends new software and hardware purchases. Includes getting quotes, meeting with vendors, documenting the requirements, and other functions associated with the purchase
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Minimum Qualifications: Associate Degree and two years’ experience within Information Technology, or a combination of comparable education and experience. Experience in the following technologies/products: Windows server and desktop operating systems, WAN/LAN and wireless networking, DNS, Virtualization technologies. Valid Minnesota driver’s license.
Preferred Qualifications: Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer or equivalent certification. A+ Certified Computer Service Technician. Experience with products such as: Microsoft Office 365, Windows Servers, Active Directory, Group Policy, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Lync, SharePoint, Hyper-V, VMWare, Cisco & HP Networking, Cisco IP Phone systems, EMC Storage Area Network, HP Blades and Enclosure, Video Surveillance. Municipal, county or other local government IT experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong customer service orientation
EQUIPMENT AND TOOL OPERATION: Employee must be capable of operating miscellaneous tools and office equipment relative to this position which shall include, but may not be limited to: computers, copiers, FAX machines, calculators, audiovisual equipment.
|Hours of Work/Physical and Mental Demands:|
|HOURS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The normal workday shall be eight (8) hours and the normal work week shall be forty (40) hours. Indoor working environment with frequent contact with the general public. This is an exempt position.
In compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act the following represents the Physical and Environmental Demands: This position requires an equal amount of time spent standing, walking, and sitting. Lifting, pushing/pulling, or carrying of objects weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds is sometimes required, with a maximum of forty (40) pounds infrequently required. Climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, twisting, and bending are sometimes required. Repetitive movements of the hands are sometimes required. Audio, visual, and verbal functions are essential functions to performing this position. The majority of the workday is spent indoors.