Senior Media Services/Reference Librarian
DATE: July, 2000
DIRECTION OF OTHERS: Circulation Assistants, Library Assistants, Clerks, Student Assistants,
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Master's Degree in Library Science. Three years of professional library experience. Further training in selecting and utilizing media and equipment. Internet and on-line database searching experience.
NATURE OF WORK: Provides professional reference service to the public. Selects, deselects, catalogs and classifies all audiovisual materials and is in charge of attendant services. Selects and maintains media equipment. Maintains the periodical collection and is in charge of attendant services. Primary contact for census data and other demographic statistics. Supervises and monitors internet activity. Supervises operations during assigned hours, which includes maintaining a safe and secure environment for staff and public.
WORK PERFORMED/AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
I. User Services
- Provide for patrons' informational, recreational and educational needs through reference, referral and reader's advisory services.
- Efficiently perform internet and on-line database searching.
- Aid patrons in selection of audio-visual resources and reading materials.
- Request materials and information from other libraries and agencies as needed.
- Assist patrons in the use of computers for on-line and internet searching.
- Troubleshoot computers as needed.
II. Supervises support staff:
- Determine departmental procedures in media services and periodicals.
- Direct support staff in adult department.
III. Collection development:
- Maintain a working knowledge of rapidly evolving new formats.
- Select and deselect audio-visual materials and equipment, as well as periodicals and newspapers.
IV. Bibliographic Access and Cataloging:
- Create and maintain accurate records of all audio-visual materials through on-line cataloging and classification.
- Classify all audio-visual materials.
- Serve on regional library committee for bibliographic control.
V. Increase awareness of audio-visual materials and programs.
- Provide information on audio-visual materials available locally, regionally and statewide.
- Actively promote the library's media resources and services.
- Assist staff and patrons with audio-visual programming.
- Obtain audio-visual materials from other sources with in the region and statewide.
VII. Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director of Library Services.
EXTENT AND TYPE OF INTERACTION WITH PUBLIC:
- Works directly with the public in an advisory capacity by listening to and responding to their media requests, and by assisting individuals and groups with programming needs.
- Provides reference service by responding to telephone, e-mail and walk-in questions with immediate answers when possible or through more extensive searching using the internet, on-line database searching and outside reference sources when necessary.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOL OPERATION: Employee must be capable of operating miscellaneous tools and equipment relative to this position which shall include, but may not be limited to: audiovisual equipment, computers, copiers, FAX machines, public address system and calculators.
HOURS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
I. The normal workday shall be eight (8) hours and the normal work week shall be forty (40) hours.
II. Indoor working environment with frequent contact with general public.
In compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act the following represents the Physical and Environmental Demands: This position requires an equal amount of time spent standing, walking, and sitting. Lifting, pushing/pulling, or carrying of objects weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds is sometimes required, with a maximum of forty (40) pounds infrequently required. Climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, twisting, and bending are sometimes required. Repetitive movements of the hands are sometimes required. Audio, visual, and verbal functions are essential functions to performing this position. The majority of the workday is spent indoors.